Not every girl gets to wear an Armani wedding gown on their walk down the aisle. Katie Holmes dazzled in a Swarovski crystal-encrusted dress to marry Tom Cruise. In one of the most talked-about weddings of all time, Holmes showed impeccable fashion taste in her designer gown.
Read on to learn more about the dress and her fairy tale romance with the famous actor.
The Couple’s Love Story Beginnings
Katie has admitted to having a childhood crush on Cruise. “I think every little girl dreams of her wedding. I used to think I was going to marry Tom Cruise.” But in 2005, Katie was engaged to Chris Klein and Tom was four years divorced from Nicole Kidman. When Holmes and Klein split, it opened the door to a new relationship. A month later, Katie and Tom made their first public appearance as a couple.
Katie and Tom glowed in Rome celebrating Tom’s David di Donatello lifetime achievement award. Though the couple had reportedly only been dating for a couple of weeks, they looked extremely cozy together. In May of that year, Cruise showed his love for Katie in the memorable Oprah episode where he jumped on the couches with joy. He declared his love for her and said that she was “extraordinary.”
The Quick Road to Engaged and Expecting
Holmes told reporters that she would convert to Scientology at the premiere of her movie “Batman Begins.” She seemed excited about the prospect and said that she was taking courses to help her assimilate. The couple was engaged a few days later. Only three months after they began dating, Cruise proposed at the Eiffel Tower with a teardrop diamond ring.
Four months later, in October 2005, Katie and Tom announced that they were pregnant. In April 2006, Katie gave birth to Suri, which means “red rose.” The media went crazy over her, but very few details were released. Suri finally made a public debut in October 2006 on the cover of Vanity Fair. Fans around the world adored beautiful little girl as soon as they saw her.
A Wedding Fit for Hollywood Royalty
The coupled celebrated their nuptials in Italy. No expense was spared in the lavish ceremony in the 15th-century Odescalchi Castle in Bracciano. Reportedly the entire celebration cost more than $3 million. Fireworks and a serenade by Andrea Botticelli were just some of the marvelous entertainments the guests enjoyed.
Sources estimate around 150 guests were in attendance, including famous friends such as Giorgio Armani, Jennifer Lopez, and Brooke Shields. Suri was also there, in an Armani ivory silk tulle dress that matched her mother’s. One of Cruise’s children with Nicole Kidman, 11-year-old Connor, carried Suri down the aisle. Guests report that Katie, Tom, and Katie’s dad all beamed with joy and pride as they tied the knot.
A Dazzling Armani Dress
Katie’s dress was a grand piece of art, fit for a royal wedding in a castle. Giorgio Armani designed a dress that looked like it had come straight from a fairy tale. Katie’s off-the-shoulder gown featured an ivory silk train and was elegantly adorned in Valenciennes lace and stunning Swarovski beaded crystal embroidery. It reportedly took 350 hours for artisans to cover her dress with Swarovski crystals. The Wedding Scoop experts estimate the value of the dress at $50,000. Her ensemble was completed with an ivory tulle floor-length veil and ivory silk shoes.
A Remarkable Designer
Giorgio Armani became synonymous with high fashion. And he didn’t disappoint with his design of Katie’s gown. Armani says that Katie wanted an elegant dress with exquisite material, and that’s exactly what he delivered. Armani also enjoyed himself at the wedding, stating that the moment before Katie walked down the aisle was “by far, the most charged moment of the evening.” Tom was also attired in Armani, sporting a navy two-button tux. As Suri also wore her very first Armani, it truly was a designer family affair.
Armani aimed to make the dress modern but still in tune with her sweet energy. Guests say she looked angelic as she floated down the aisle like an ivory silk dream. Armani also provided her wedding bouquet of calla lilies.
Buy Similar Dresses
You don’t have to know Giorgio Armani personally to have a beautiful gown for your big day. If Katie’s gown proved inspiring, consider these dresses in ivory silk featuring the same poise and grace.
- Katie wanted a simple yet elegant dress, and this dress delivers nothing less. In ivory or white, this strapless sweetheart mermaid dress is modern while maintaining a timeless feel. Elegant with a simple silhouette, this dress will dazzle your family and friends.
- For a dress with beautiful lace around the neckline and shoulders, this sleeveless model is perfect. Featuring an A-Line style with sequins and beading, you can sparkle like Katie as you walk down the aisle.
- This half sleeve scoop neck mermaid wedding dress has beautiful appliques to decorate its classic lines. The soft tulle fabric with pearl and lace embellishments is reminiscent of Katie’s designer Armani offering. Zipper closure with full button decoration finishes the look with an intricate and elegant style.
- Justin Alexander sets the stage with this beaded off-the-shoulder gown. An A-line silhouette covered in 3D chiffon petals provides a classic feel with a unique soft texture. The skirt shimmers due to the sequined tulle underlay. Lace inset with pearls will make your dress unique.
- For your own dress fit for an Italian wedding, look no further than JJ’s House. This princess V-neck chapel train gown is covered in lace, beading, and sequins. The ball gown is worthy of a castle wedding. The chapel train can be bustled for the reception but will dazzle in all its full length glory at the ceremony.
Holmes and Cruise Dazzle in Italy
In a wedding that combined Hollywood glamour and Italian hospitality, Holmes and Cruise gave family and friends a ceremony to remember. Katie’s one-of-a-kind Armani gown sparkled brilliantly in the candlelight covered in Swarovski crystals. Ivory elegance fit her beautifully from her floor-length tulle veil to her ivory silk shoes.For more scoop on celebrity weddings, visit the Wedding Scoop website. To specifically catch up on the latest wedding jewelry trends, see Estate Diamond Jewelry’s extensive collection.
Consult With an Expert Wedding Shopper
Would you like to wear a frothy prom-style tulle dress to your wedding? Our professional team of wedding shoppers can help you find a dress with a cape and a floor-length A-Line skirt that’s similar to the iconic Serena William’s wedding dress.