Though 19 couples have gotten married at the White House, no one has ever tied the knot on the South Lawn, until 2022. On November 19 of that year Naomi Biden, President Biden and First Lady Jill Biden’s eldest granddaughter, wed Peter Neal, a Pennsylvania Law graduate. Their gorgeous wedding was the first at the presidential residence in nine years.
Love and Politics
A mutual friend set the couple up in 2018 in New York City. The two dated for three years before Neal proposed in 2021. Naomi, Biden’s granddaughter by son Hunter, loves the excitement of living in a political family. Neal is no stranger to politics either. He first served as an intern for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and then was a White House intern for President Obama.
The two have kept their relationship timeline private, but both are law school graduates and have plenty in common. Since that first meeting, they have been practically inseparable. Both families seem thrilled about the union.
His Inspiring Proposal
Neal continued to show a sentimental side in his proposal to his bride. He proposed in September 2021 near his Jackson Hole, Wyoming childhood home. He took the band from his grandmother’s engagement ring and had a beautiful diamond placed on it for Naomi. The ring is stunning and sentimental, too.
It is no surprise that the couple went with a classic design and setting. The emerald-cut diamond set on a yellow gold band is timeless. The ring is estimated to weigh about 2.5 carats, worth around $30,000. The couple showed off their sparkly new jewelry on social media.
In a precious Twitter post about her upcoming nuptials, Naomi wrote, “Peter and I are endlessly grateful to my Nana and Pop for the opportunity to celebrate our wedding at the White House. We can’t wait to make our commitment to one another official and for what lies ahead.” The wedding took place amongst family and friends. President Biden and his wife hosted the wedding reception inside the White House following the ceremony.
The couple is passionate about politics and people. In 2020, they realized how difficult it was for small businesses to navigate the stimulus bill and CARES Act eligibility. They had a window into the small business world through Neal’s parents. The two founded an online tool to help small business owners figure out what governmental assistance they could qualify for during the Covid crisis.
Much speculation took place over who Naomi would choose for her dress designer. Ultimately, she went with Ralph Lauren, an American icon. Wedding Scoop experts estimate the dress to be worth $10,500. She stunned in a long sleeve Chantilly lace wedding dress with a mock neck. Floral embroidery covered the dress to add a soft texture and exquisite style.
Naomi made a statement with her choice of a cathedral-length veil of the same silk organza with a Chantilly lace border. Her Tiffany & Co. diamond and pearl drop earrings perfectly fit her classic style. The bouquet of white flowers and greenery coordinated with the White House and the green South Lawn perfectly.
Prior to the wedding, there was much speculation over which designer Naomi would choose for her dress. Ralph Lauren invited Naomi to their Fall/Winter Fashion Show in 2022, and so Lauren’s name was in the mix as a possible choice. Sure enough, Naomi went with the American icon, and it was a great decision. Ralph Lauren outfitted Biden for his inauguration in 2021. Groom Peter also wore Lauren on the wedding day.
Echoes of Pennsylvania Avenue
Though we don’t have specifics on the inspiration behind the dress, we know that the bride has respect for both the country and the sanctity of marriage, reflected in every outfit she chose for the big day. Her grandmother’s pearls were sewn into the train of her ivory silk reception gown. Every aspect of the celebrations, including the wedding invitation design, was crafted to have symbolic meaning. The decorations and the wedding cake had echoes of White House architecture and décor.
Find Your Own White House-Worthy Dress
Looking for your own personal presidential wedding gown? Check out these dresses inspired by Naomi Biden’s classic style. Your dress could be worthy of a White House wedding, too.
- A lace high neck and chapel train set this dress apart. Long-sleeved and decorated with elegant lace and beading detail, the high waist is flattering on every body shape. The A-line silhouette also features a full skirt fitting for a fancy location or simple celebration.
- If you love long sleeves, but you’re looking for a more formal style, view this ball gown wedding dress. This lace attire features high-quality chiffon and beautiful lace appliques. The soft satin lining makes the dress elegant and comfortable. This high neck design mirrors Naomi’s exquisitely.
- This elegant lace mermaid dress features long sleeves and a beaded crew neck. Available in various styles and colors, the high-quality satin is flowy and lightweight but still regal. Lace appliques adorn the dress in perfect detail. This dress is appropriate in any setting, from a beach to a castle.
- Attain Naomi’s inspiring long-sleeve look with a little flare. This full A-line bridal gown has detachable long sleeves that fall beautifully off the shoulder. Floral embroidered net set with sequins and shimmers catches light beautifully. Look radiant in an ivory dress that echoes Naomi’s White House gown.
- A Maggie Sottero dream, this romantic gown with detachable bishop sleeves is elegant and modern. Floral 3D lace crepe decorations compliment the sheer sleeves. A whimsical silhouette is perfect for a combination of luxury and simplicity.
Love in the White House
Naomi Biden and Peter Neal seemed to find love at first sight amidst the busy world of politics. They made America proud with their gorgeous ceremony that gave nods both to classic Americana and modern style. The Bidens’ granddaughter showed her impeccable taste, gliding through family and friends in an elegant Ralph Lauren lace long-sleeve dress.The exquisite dress made an impression on everyone in attendance. If you are looking for inspiration for your own wedding gown, check out The Wedding Scoop for celebrity wedding photos and ideas for your own ceremony. Need some ring ideas? Visit Estate Diamond Jewelry for unique and antique rings and jewelry pieces.
Consult With an Expert Wedding Shopper
Would you like to wear a frothy prom-style tulle dress to your wedding? Our professional team of wedding shoppers can help you find a dress with a cape and a floor-length A-Line skirt that’s similar to the iconic Serena William’s wedding dress.