After all Nicole Kidman has endured in her turbulent love life, the world was thrilled to see her find true love with country singer Keith Urban. Though the couple is remarkably quiet about their private life together, we recently got a small peek into their wedding day bliss.
Read on to learn more about the big day and the couple’s unique love story.
Love Down Under Is the Sweetest
Aussie actress Nicole Kidman and New Zealand born country singer Keith Urban are two well-known Hollywood figures. In daily life, however, the couple prefers to keep things low-key. Kidman has said they “have a really good life in Nashville that’s very simple, quiet, and nourishing because we’ve made it like that.” This desire for privacy is probably why the public knew very little about their 2006 wedding …until this year, that is.
Lucky for us, Nicole and Keith decided to share some footage from their wedding during one of his recent performances in Las Vegas. While playing “Without You,” Keith aired “just a little bit” of the couple’s wedding, approved by Nicole.
In the snippet of wedding footage, we see the two lighting a candle together that has their names engraved in gold on the front. They are surrounded by candles and exchange adoring smiles. Better still, we got our first look at her gorgeous dress.
The Road to Love
Nicole and Keith began dating in 2005. It took a little while for love to spark, however. Both grew up in Australia but met at the G’Day USA gala in Los Angeles. Though they exchanged phone numbers at the gala, it took four months for Keith to finally call Nicole. After that phone call, it was only a matter of time before they became a couple.
Keith showed up on Nicole’s doorstep with a bouquet of gardenias in the early morning hours of her 38thbirthday. Nicole says she was “a goner” at the sight of him proposing at her front door. It was at this point she knew he was the love of her life. The Cartier engagement ring is worth $50,000 and showcased three large diamonds surrounded by a cluster of smaller stones. The couple has since upgraded to a larger emerald-cut solitaire.
The Scoop on the Dress
So what was Nicole wearing in this candle-lit moment of bliss? Her dress was as sweet and beautiful as the actress herself. Custom-made by Nicolas Ghesquiere, the gown was a Balenciaga creation. The modest sweetheart neckline featured a statement puff sleeve with ruffles on one shoulder. The Wedding Scoop Experts estimate the dress to be worth $20,000.
The service was held at the Cardinal Cerretti Chapel in Manly, a suburb of Sydney. The candlelight accentuated Nicole’s beautiful blonde ringlets and the soft sophistication of her stunning gown. A classic veil completed a timeless look.
Details on the Designer
Nicolas Ghesquiere is a French-Belgian designer who has served as the creative director of the House of Louis Vuitton. He later worked for Balenciaga, a Paris fashion house. Ghesquiere was honored by many organizations as their designer of the year. He was even listed among Time’s 100 Most Influential People in 2006.
The Intimate Ceremony
The ceremony has been described as a traditional Catholic style wedding. PEOPLE went into further detail stating it was a “romantic blend of Cinderella-style fantasy, Catholic tradition, and Aussie cheer.”
The beautiful and emotional ceremony was attended by some of the couple’s closest friends. Hugh Jackman, Neil Finn, and Keith performed that evening to entertain friends and family. Reports estimate that 230 of their closest pals were in attendance. Kidman’s two adopted children with ex-husband Tom Cruise, Connor Antony and Isabella Jane, were there as well. Isabella was in Nicole’s bridal party, and is rumored to have served as Nicole’s maid of honor. Two other well-known attendees were Naomi Watts and Russell Crowe.
Friends revealed that she wore her veil until they were officially pronounced man and wife. Keith lifted the veil then for the first time and kissed her passionately. Only a few months later, he would have to enter a rehab facility for addiction. Even though their relationship has not been without its early difficulties, it has only strengthened their trust in each other.
Nicole Inspired Dresses
Does Nicole’s beautiful one-shouldered dress give you inspiration for your bridal gown? If so, check out some of these elegant dresses inspired by Kidman. Although you may not be able to hire Nicolas Ghesquiere to design your gown, you can look just as stunning in one of these.
- One-shoulder wedding gowns can be difficult to find. This gown can be worn as a wedding dress or can be the base dress to work from. The Calvin Klein beaded detail is unique and elegant just like Nicole. And fashion sources say one-shoulder is a trend that’s coming back.
- The ethereal look of Nicole’s puff sleeves accents her classic sweetheart neckline. This dress’ sweetheart neckline would be stunning on any figure. The ruffle skirt is reminiscent of fairy-tale puff sleeves and has elegant lace appliques decorating it beautifully. Available in ivory or white.
- If puff sleeves have you smitten, this wedding dress is the perfect choice. Made 100% by hand from high-quality lace tulle, it features fairy puff sleeves. The deep V-neck and open back are alluring yet stylish.
- This one-shoulder beaded wedding dress with tulle overskirt is stunning. The A-line skirt features a removable overskirt to transform into a pearlescent evening gown. The Galina Signature dress has a chapel train and is sure to make an impression. It looks elegant enough for Nicole to wear it herself.
- Combining the beauty of an off-shoulder dress with a glittering puff sleeve, this Olivia Bottega dress is remarkable. It has a sheath skirt with a stunning slit and glitters from head to toe. This is an exceptional combination of modern and classic style together in one dress.
Sweethearts of Australia and America
Nicole and Keith have won over their home countries and ours with their real-life fairy tale romance. The couple’s road hasn’t always been easy, but every step has brought them closer together. A glimpse into their elegant nuptials only reveals more of their timeless love story. We would have expected nothing less than a classic and unique dress for Nicole.
For more celebrity wedding news, be sure to catch up on the latest wedding gossip at The Wedding Scoop. If Nicole’s rings have inspired you to research a ring of your own, the best place to start is Estate Diamond Jewelry. Find all your rare and vintage pieces to share your own love story with the world.